Friday, November 6, 2009

That's My Girl

Last night the girls went to bed around 8:00 per usual, and Dadam and I settled in to watch The Office. About 10 minutes later Cecilia comes down the stairs, sniffling, because she forgot to do her math homework. Normally we do homework right when she gets home from school, but yesterday she really wanted to do some reading instead, so we sat together and she read out loud for about 30 minutes. Once she was done, I started cleaning the kitchen and she started playing with Ruby and I never really thought about her math homework (oops).

Anyway, I told her not to worry and she could work on it in the morning. She started to go back up stairs but was obviously still upset, so Dadam told her to go ahead and come down. She hustled downstairs, got out her folder, and quickly got to work. It took her about 20 minutes and then she put it away and went back to bed. I decided to drive her to school this morning so she could get some extra sleep, and the whole thing was long forgotten by the time I dropped her off.

After she was asleep Dadam and I were talking about this, and he said that when he was a kid he would have simply done the homework on the bus on the way to school. Her level of responsibility in this incident is so impressive to me, and I'm incredibly proud of the kid that she is becoming. What 7-year old cries because they want to make sure they get their math homework done on time?

Cecilia rules.

No comments: