Friday, January 8, 2010

Ladies Night.


Monday afternoon I received a call from Cecilia who was in the nurse's office complaining of a stomachache. When I asked her to describe what she was feeling, all she could come up with was, "Weird." She didn't have a fever, didn't feel like she was going to throw up, but thought it would be best if I came to pick her up. I encouraged her to drink some water, eat a cracker, and rest for 10 minutes before calling me back. Ten minutes later the phone rang and she again asked that I come pick her up because her stomach still felt weird. I told her no, of course, and that she should try to survive the last 1.5 hours of her day and then come home on the bus and I would comfort her at that time. After I hung up the phone I realized what was going on: With all the attention being given to Ruby and her finger, someone was feeling a little under-appreciated. Well, duh. Parenting 101. So when she came home after school (feeling totally fine by the way), I asked if maybe she wanted to go on a date with me, just the two of us. She lit up like 4th of July fireworks. Not 10 minutes later she had generated a list of possible activities for our date, and we agreed it would happen on the weekend so that we didn't have to worry about school.

So tonight Cecilia and I are off to a movie at the Omnitheater (which I can never get enough of anyway), and then out for fancy dessert. I'm excited to spend this time with her, get a little break from the Emergency Room Wonderkid, and enjoy the sparkling personality of my first-born. If I play my cards right perhaps we can avoid any more calls from the school nurse for a while...

No comments: