Friday, October 8, 2010

A Friday Morning List.

Here are some recent goings-on, now in list form:

1. Cici is sick. She had the pukes during the night (fun!), but thankfully all of it made it in either the toilet or in a bucket. She doesn't feel well but managed to still be her terrific self this morning:

Cecilia [on the couch, whimpering]: Mom, Pluto is still trying to make it through the year.

Momlissa: Oh yeah? What does that mean exactly?

Cecilia: It takes 2,774 Earth years for Pluto to make 1 year. And did you know it takes Mercury only one and a half days to make a year? It rotates faster than it orbits the sun.

2. This morning on the way to school, Ruby and I passed the mother of one of her classmates, who was wearing a cute cap (the kind with a stunted brim that are fashionable for ladies these days). Ruby waved hi and then turned to me with this: "That's Aidan's mom. She's wearing a hate that looks like she's riding a horse." It took me a second or two to realize she is talking about this:


And she's right, of course, but how does she know what an equestrian's hat looks like? Where do they get these things?

3. Cici earned her first Cougar Paw this week at school (that's their mascot -- the whole cougar, not just the paws). It's an acknowledgment of going above-and-beyond, and she was pleased with herself for this, rightly so. She earned it for helping clean up a mess in the cafeteria that she did not make. I love her for that, but I would be even happier if she didn't then go on to -- later that same day -- completely freak out on me when I asked her to clean her own bedroom.

4. Last weekend we again took part in the Twin Cities marathon family events: me with my first 10K an the girls both running the 1-mile (Cici ran solo, Ruby ran with Dadam). It was a beautiful, brisk fall morning, and if my race wouldn't have started so darn early (7:30AM!), it would have been perfect.

No comments: