Friday, October 15, 2010

The Reader

Not long ago my dad, Chris, told me that he and my mom were watching old home movies and had a good laugh at my expense. While my younger siblings were being filmed doing cute kid things, the camera would pan over to me, sitting in a corner immersed in a book. This was sort of my m.o. during those years. To be fair, if you were in 3rd grade and had siblings that were just babies or toddlers, what's the alternative? I loved to read as a kid, I love to read now, and I think it's a hobby that has served me well. Ahem.

Then you have Dadam. He reads at family functions while everyone else is watching football. He reads on the commute to work (he's not driving, of course). He reads while the girls are at swimming lessons or baseball practice. He reads next to me in bed while I do homework. It's just his way, and I think it's a habit that has served him very well.

So what do you get when two book nerds have children? Something like this:

Was this a long trip to visit family or perhaps a photo from our summer road trip to Chicago, you ask? Ah, no. It was an 8-minute car ride from our home to a nearby restaurant.

She might be a pretty little nerd, but she comes by it honestly. And it will serve her well.

2 comments:

Grandma Kintopf said...

I am so very proud of our little "Nerd",(she is a far cry from that) and love her so very much.

Grandma K

Penn said...

The absolute best memories of my childhood are of reading and the associated visits to the library. Best of all was the occasional visit to St. Vincent DePaul where Mom would let Mike and me each buy 5 books because they were 10 books for a $1. Later on we would get the order form for the Weekly Reader and we would each get to buy a book - there was so much excitement. Money was tight in those days but Mom and Dad always seemed to find money to fill our endless passion for reading.

The one more chapter or one more page when we were called to do dishes .. the lights out at night and again the familiar phrase "please one more chapter" or the it's beautiful outside and again "Mom, just a little longer".

I say YEAH Cecelia! More importantly I say GOOD JOB Mom and Dad!