Thursday, November 11, 2010

Victory

Mornings around our house can be chaotic and harried in the way - I imagine - that they are for most busy families just trying to get through the week. There is a sequence of events that takes place so that everyone can get out the door at the right time, with the right things, and ready for the day. I'm sorry to say that our routine isn't perfect and sometimes there is a last minute scramble for shoes or homework or a snack, and there have even been times when yelling is involved. (GASP!)

I will say, however, that ever since Cecilia started going to school I've been committed to the idea that our children should not leave the house all stressed out or - even worse - in tears. I can't protect them from the daily trials and tribulations that happen to everyone, but at the very least I can make sure they walk out the front door feeling calm, safe, and loved. This can be a real challenge on days when everyone wakes up crabby and cereal gets spilled and homework is lost and clean socks are nowhere to be found and we're out of coffee. But in the 30 seconds before Cecilia walks out the door (she goes first), I muster all my strength and pull it together so that she knows - no matter what - things are okay. If it's been a particularly rough morning, I find that a well-timed fart joke turns things around pretty quickly.

Which brings me to today. Today was just one of those magical days when it all just worked. The girls had breakfast, got dressed, brushed teeth and hair, packed up their school things, and there was no yelling or crying in the process. Everyone remembered lunches and snacks. Everyone left on time. Everyone left with a hug and a kiss and a smile. Everyone was clean.

So today, along with being grateful for veterans, I'm going to be grateful for the small victory that is a peaceful morning. Sometimes it's the little things, right?

No comments: