Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reporting In.

A quick mish-mash of things here on a freezing Friday morning in our fair city. In only slightly particular order:

1) A typical conversation:

Momlissa: Duuuuuude, your fart STINKS!
Cecilia: It's a gift.

2) Ruby, excited about the Holidazzle parade: "We get to see Handsome and Gretel!"

3) I couldn't take it anymore and Cecilia got a pretty major haircut on Sunday (she chose the length):


4)Tonight the four of us get to be in the Holidazzle parade as volunteers. If you do not know what this is you are either A) not from the Twin Cities or, B) you are a shut-in. Either way I feel bad for you. If you're curious, go here: http://www.holidazzle.com/ We're all rather excited!

5) Recently I pulled out some papers from Ruby's backpack and found a picture she made at school:


It stopped me in my tracks. When Ruby was hospitalized for Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome in 2007, there was a period of time before the dialysis when they were still trying to diagnose her but it was clear she was losing kidney function. Because of this, she was not able to have any fluids, not even tiny sips of water because her body was not able to process the fluids. In a hellish nightmare that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, we had to deny our child water even though she cried and begged for it. Desperate, I snuck her the tiniest slivers of ice-no bigger than a pencil eraser-and she just wanted more. It was perhaps one of the worst moments I've ever known, and it culminated with my poor baby throwing herself down in frustration where she banged her forehead full force onto the bed rail. It. Was. Awful.

If there is a silver lining to that experience, it's that Ruby has no memory of any of it. She knows she was sick and can show you the scars, but she doesn't remember how scary it really was. We, however, remember all too well. So when my daughter brings home a picture stating she's thankful for water, I have to stop and give thanks, too. Thanks for long drinks of water, for working kidneys, and for a daughter who can't remember a time without those things.

1 comment:

Penn said...

OK - first that picture of Cecilia looks like my Mom - that is a very good thing. It makes me sad and happy all at the same time. ?Still miss Mom more than words can say. Secondly,the water thing - a picture speaks a thousand words is what comes to mine. Thankful for everyone's health, especially Ruby's. Hope she gets her front teeth for Christmas.