Thursday, April 21, 2011

Baked Tortilla Chips

Without getting into the gory details, I'll just say that this afternoon Cici had a total meltdown which began with me allowing the girls to have a handful of baked tortilla chips as a snack. What seemed to be a very minor spat between the girls quickly escalated into a full-blown freakout for Daughter #1 and resulted in her accusing me and the rest of the world - through sobs - of loving Ruby more than her. Luckily for the rest of the world, I was there to bear the brunt of it and talk her off the ledge. Ultimately she was able to calm down, return to her pleasant self, and enjoy a family dinner, but not before uttering some seriously memorable phrases which I will now share with the rest of you, such as:

"Fine! She can have all the chips and all the luxury!"

AND

"Ruby always gets all the luxury!"

AND

"They didn’t make any suggestments, and if nobody makes a suggestment…"

AND, perhaps seeing the horrified look on my face during this exchange:

"I don’t know what I’m saying right now!" before throwing herself dramatically down onto her bed. Wowzers.

I feel as though I caught a glimpse into the future today, a future where she's 14 and tells me she hates me because I won't buy her an over-priced, over-sexed outfit at Abercrombie & Fitch. And all I could think was, we're going to need more gin.

2 comments:

Penn said...

As I read out loud - Peg says she's a little young - sounds like 14 to me. Then I got to the 14 year old part. But her real question is "I wonder what luxury means to Cici?"

Grandma Kintopf said...

We can learn from this as to whether or not we are showing favouritism without really meaning to. Believe me, I know from experience.