Sunday, November 9, 2008

Tater Tot Hotdish

Last week Cecilia came home from school going on and on about tater tot hotdish. I guess she's never had it at school before, and she certainly hasn't had it here at home. She repeatedly suggested we have this for dinner some night and I figured at some point I'd have to give in and make my child tater tot hotdish.

Tonight was the night.

We try very hard to make sure our girls eat a healthy, balanced diet, so when I started looking up recipes on the internet I was rather horrified by what actually goes into this concoction (hard to believe, but as a Minnesotan who likes to cook this is something I've never put together). I found a "healthier" version and made some of my own modifications (more veggies, less oil, less meat, etc.) and threw that sucker in the oven.

I've never seen Cici eat something so fast in her whole life. And then my daughter - the marvelous creature that she is - not only thanked me for my efforts, but went on and on about how the food I make is always the best and I'm the best cook she knows. And really, what's the harm in eating tater tots once in a blue moon if it makes her that happy?

Note: Anyone who lives withing driving distance is welcome to join us for leftovers tomorrow!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I take it you're praying she'll never hear about Frito Pie...

M. said...

OH man, I have the BEST tator tot hotdish recipe from my mom. I make it with ground turkey (and NO oil - ick!). I'll make it for you and bring it over some time.