Monday, November 30, 2009

Bonding.


Tonight after dinner I went up to the bedroom to do some reading for school. About ten minutes later Ruby came upstairs, crawled onto the bed, and asked me if she could lay with me for a bit. I put down my reading and had the best conversation with my daughter. Here is some of what we covered:
  • Why she likes the fish crackers at school so much (it turns out there's flavor inside that you can't see);
  • The difference between an oval and a circle, a rhombus and a square;
  • How annoying and frustrating it is that during dancing at school some of the kids get in her way (annoying and frustrating being her word choices);
  • Her two favorite Doctor Who episodes (the one with the Oods and the one where the people turn into bats);
  • What an Ood is;
  • A funny story about how Dadam thought she was turning on the ceiling fan but it really was the box fan;
  • How having too much dinner to eat is like being a baby and wanting to wear a dress that is too big and also you don't know how to work the zipper;
  • All soup would be better if it had peanut butter in it;
  • At Target there is a thing that you put your hand in and it pretends to chop it off (from Halloween time);
  • Sometimes at bed Cici doesn't want a kiss good-night but Ruby always does;
  • How poop and pee move differently through the pipes (which she kept calling "pumps") and this is similar to how a child slides down a slide at the park;
  • And some other random tidbits thrown in for fun that I can't quite recall.
At one point Cecilia hollered up the stairs that Ruby should leave me alone because I was supposed to be doing homework, to which Ruby hollered back: "WE'RE JUST TALKING!" And even though I really, really need to get this schoolwork done, that conversation was the absolute highlight of my day. Hands down.

No comments: