Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Let Me In!

Every day I walk Ruby to preschool, and up until two weeks ago this has been pretty uneventful -- it's only 3.5 blocks after all. But out of the blue Ruby decided that she no longer wanted me to come into the building with her and she could do it on her own, thankyouverymuch. I resisted at first because I know she gets distracted by the other kids in the hallway and, well, she's only four. I didn't know how she'd manage without me. As it turns out, just fine.

When we walk to school I'm allowed to enter the building but I have to stop right at the doors and let her get to her classroom on her own, and on the rare occasion when we get there by van I'm not allowed to even exit the vehicle. I sit there and watch as my baby runs off and goes inside without me.

I love her independent spirit and her fearlessness -- I really, really do. And I know that someday it will serve her very well as she leads her own life and is the star in her own adventures. But now, when she's only four, it breaks my heart a little bit...

No comments: