Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fruit Plate & More

Our girls are notoriously good eaters. I can barely keep fruit in the house for more than a few days before it's all gobbled up, and dried fruit is no exception. Some other parents we've encountered are shocked by this (even some non-parents for that matter) but it's really become old hat around here. I thought it would be fun to include a few tidbits about the eating habits of the K girls for everyone's amusement.

  • The vegetable Ruby begs for at the super market? Brussels sprouts.
  • The vegetable that Ruby goes to grab from the fridge for a late afternoon snack? Green onions. Raw. (She was eating these out of a baggie when I brought her with me on a recent visit to the hair salon, and people were slack-jawed at the sight of it.)
  • Cecilia's latest fixation for toast? Apple-cranberry butter.
  • Cecilia's most frequent after school snack request? Fruit plate. (This is where I take two separate kinds of fruit, cut it up, and arrange it beautifully on a plate. For some reason she thinks this is the height of sophistication and if I happen to offer her a plain piece of fruit she looks at me and says, "Uh, could you make this into a fruit plate please?" I've created a monster here.)
  • Recently Cecilia has taken to stirring jams and jellies into plain, Greek yogurt. This is why we don't have a stash of Grandma K's homemade freezer jam anymore. It's all been stirred into so many bowls of Greek yogurt.
  • Yesterday I offered Ruby a prune as I was prepping dinner. She swooned, claimed to love them, and ate about 6 more.
And while they're good eaters and healthy kids, they still love anything with sugar that they can get their hands on and will occasionally turn up their noses at certain things. Overall we are thrilled with the kind of eaters our girls are, especially considering the state of our country's health and the startling rates of childhood obesity. I'm grateful that this is one aspect of parenting that I seem to have a handle on. So far.

No comments: