Friday, February 5, 2010

Pretty Pretty Princess



There are some striking similarities between me and Rubes: our sassiness, general temperament, vulgarity (the burping and farting does NOT come from the K side of the family), and the fact that we are not morning people are just a few examples. But lately I've been asking myself, "Where did this child come from?"

Lately Ruby has become interested in things that I would call "girlie." Clothes, hair, shoes, etc. And not just her own clothes, hair, etc., but going so far as to comment on my clothes, hair, etc. I should point out here that I am pretty far removed from being a girlie-girl. I am not interested in the latest fashions, trendy haircuts, or the hot colors for spring. On a good day I'm clean. On a bad day ... well, you don't want to know.

Now I have to contend with my 4-year old coming into my bedroom while I'm dressing and making comments about my clothes and offering suggestions for outfits. Seriously. If I happen to put on jeans and a sweater (as opposed to workout pants and a t-shirt) Ruby will take note and tell me, "Mom, you look nice." If I'm going to class and managed to get my hair under control and put on some make-up I get something like, "Mom, you look beautiful!" I'll take the compliments, sure, but I'm also starting to get a glimpse into the psychology behind them and I find it a little unsettling. Am I going to have a girlie-girl on my hands for the next 14 years (and beyond)?

Yesterday Ruby had me fix her ponytail and then promptly jotted over to the full-length mirror to make some adjustments. I watched her do this and after she was done fiddling around patting down her hair I heard her mutter to herself, "Perfect."

Lord help me.

[Note from Dadam: On Wednesday Ruby also made sure that my collars were tucked into my sweater, saying, "This way you'll look like an old man."]

No comments: